This week, we are not just collaging, but collaging with a purpose! This may sounds cheesy, but the project I have for you is a vision board. Trust me, don’t nix it before you try it.
I don’t know about you, but I feel like I’m getting a little lost and need some help finding my way back. Summer is approaching, we can forget about school and get back to working on ourselves. Vision boards are a great way to help your clarity, focus, and self esteem. You are creating what you want your life to be, setting your goals. You can think about this as if you were actually writing out your goals, except we all know images and crazy fonts stick with us better than words on a page.
The Goal: Find images or phrases that represent what you want to be. Some people choose to go the physical route and select images of skinny or muscular people to help with their dieting, which is a perfectly legitimate use of a vision board. I however, prefer to go the more mental health route. I selected items that will remind me to always be optimistic, push through the hard times, and and become a better person. You can make yours career-oriented, family-oriented, personal, all of the above, or none of the above. This is whatever you want it to be.
How you choose to do it is up to you, there is no wrong way!
Card stock/ poster board (however big you want it, but regular paper size is probably good) *colored is good so if you don’t fill every space, it won’t be white showing through
Magazines (any type will do, but get a lot of them!)
Packing Tape (optional)
1. Find phrases, words, images, etc in a magazine that speak to you *You can print things off the computer or use real picture if you like *Find ANYTHING that means something to you. Even if it is part of an orange juice ad, cut out the part that you like. My rule is that if you stop to think about it, rip it out. Worst that happens is you don’t use it!
A couple ideas:
If you want to write a book, look for pictures of a computer with someone typing
If you want to travel cut out or print out pictures of the places you want to go
If you want to lose weight find a picture of the physique you want to have
If you want to get married, cut out a bride and groom or a wedding picture
If you want to live on the ocean in a beautiful house, find a picture of that house on the ocean
2. Cut them out and place them on your board (Don’t glue until you have all the pieces you want)
3. Glue them down in a creative way. Some people like things to be clean and orderly, I like things to be a little wacky so my images overlap and go in different directions. Do whatever speaks to you.
4. Optional: Cover the entire thing in packing tape to keep nothing from falling off
5. Hang it up somewhere you will see it every day (closet doors, mirrors, etc)
I don’t have too many images of how to create a board for you because this is supposed to be all about YOU. There is no wrong way to make a vision board. Just think about the person you want to be and find things that will encourage you to get there. It can be crazy or calm, cluttered or clean whatever speaks to you.
I have included mine earlier, and now I have a few other boards to get your ideas flowing:
I have also included a few links about vision boards that will hopefully give you some inspiration:
Dream big and let me know how it goes!